Enquiry Form

Fill in the details and we will get in touch with you.

Study in New Zealand


Student Visa Policy

Everyone who comes to New Zealand from overseas must meet certain rules and requirements regarding Visa. If you are coming to New Zealand to study for more than three months, you will need student Visa. International students who have graduated from a course that would gain points under Skilled Migrant Category are eligible for a six-month open work permit.

Once Graduates have gained work this way, they can go on to apply for either a post-study 2 year work permit or, proceed directly to apply for residency under the Skilled Migrant Category.

Students are eligible to work up to 20 hours a week.

And anyone undertaking a course of 12 months or more are able to apply to work full-time over the summer holidays.

Also partners of students studying in areas of absolute skill shortage and partners of all postgraduate students are able to apply for an open work permit valid for the duration of the student's course of study.

All the Universities in New Zealand are Government-funded.

The Universities are:

The Universities offer degrees, diplomas, Master and Doctoral degree and study programs in various faculties and all have their specialty faculties.

Institutes of Newzealand:

Degree Information

Mostly, Bachelor degrees take three years of study and each degree consists of a prescribed number of units, papers or courses at each level of study. There are number for degree which can take four years also i.e. An Honours’ Degree will take another year of study apart from three years of Bachelor Degree. Grades given in tests, assignments and practical work count towards the final grade and most courses will have a final three-hour written examination.

If the previous study is in an area not relevant to the course applied for, it is likely that the institution will first offer a place in a graduate diploma programme. A post-graduate diploma will normally take one year of study after completion of a Bachelor degree and a Master degree normally requires two years of study after the Bachelor degree. It may be possible to gain cross credits also towards a degree from previous overseas study where this study is accepted as relevant. The academic year is from mid/late February to early November and most Universities have 2 semesters. Each University operates slightly different semester dates and some Universities also now offer summer school in the main holiday period in January/February. For many institutions admissions are open thought the year.

Entry Requirements

For entry to under-graduate programs, Universities look at higher first division ranging from 80-85% and institutes of technology are comparatively flexible offering a place with 60% (approx.) for a Bachelor’s program. An IELTS of 6.0 is required for admission into these programs. Entry to post-graduate programs requires a higher level of English, normally IELTS 6.5 or more. Students are asked to submit their previous records of study. A number of professional courses will have higher entry standards because of the limited capacity. Work Experience can make a difference in selection and leveraged very well.

Tuition Fees

Tuition fees vary between institutions and the major subject selected. Under-graduate degrees range from NZ$13,000 to 18,000 for Arts/Law, up to NZ$18,000+ per year for engineering. Vocational courses like media, design, aircraft etc are up to $20000+.Post-graduate degrees range from NZ$18,000 to NZ$28,000 per year.


Once you have been in New Zealand for a while, you may decide to change your accommodation. The table below gives a brief explanation of the different sorts of accommodation available to international students. For more information go to: www.mynzed.com, click on `general information', then `accommodation' in the right column.

If you are under 18 years of age your education provider will assess available accommodation for you.

Type What it's like

rivate board: You have your own room in a private residential home or boarding house. Meals are provided, and probably shared. You are free to come and go as you please. You may or may not be expected to help with household chores. You will usually be expected to care for your own room.

Homestay: You live with a family in their home. You will be treated like one of the family and expected to help out with household chores and to oblige to the rules set by your host parents such as curfews. Mealtimes will be shared together. Home stays are great for helping with your English because you will need to speak English in the home.

Cost of education is cheaper in New Zealand as compared to US/ Europe.Most times you don't have to give the stressful GRE/ GMAT exams..New Zealand qualifications are widely recognized and respected internationally.Student Visas generally get approved as compared to countries like the US where a lot of visas are rejected.Migration to New Zealand is possible on finishing your course.

New Zealand English is very similar to British English and is easily understood by most outsiders.The climate is temperate with pleasant seasonal changes and is conducive to study and recreation.